Many bikers find it uncomfortable and unsatisfied to wear their motorcycle helmet, due to its ugly appearance, especially the “real” motorcycle helmet with good quality. The truth is that the manufacturers tend to focus on these products’ quality and reputation, instead of their model and design. According to their opinions, customers are just like them who prefer to use the high-quality helmets, rather than the good-looking ones.
However, it is revealed that the appearance and cost are other important factors which also attract buyers’ interests. In the current market, there are lots of the “fake” motorcycle helmets with low quality that are exquisitely designed with very cheap price. As a result, people like spending money on these fake helmets, instead of the real ones, due to their eye-catching appearance. But, it is not highly recommended.
To minimize this weakness, some bikers choose to paint their motorcycle helmet, based on their creativity and preference. This method does help them stand out and feel confident, thanks to the specific look of their helmet. So, how to paint a motorcycle helmet? Let us boost your creative ability by this step-by-step guide below!
First of all, it is necessary and important to opt for a motorcycle helmet, which should be certified by Snell, DOT, or ECE standards. The reason is that this guarantees your safety for sure. In addition, don’t forget to choose a helmet which also has a right fit, based on your head shape and head size. That means you should take notice of the helmet that a snug fit for your head. Thirdly, consider the favorite material that your chosen helmet is made of. In general, the helmet is made from many different materials, like carbon fiber, fiberglass, epoxy resin, thermoplastic, and so on! So pick up the best motocross Helmet 2018 for yourself
Think about the design that you will apply for your motorcycle helmet
Of course, the motorcycle helmet should be created by what you like. So, form an idea in mind about the desirable theme that you wish to apply to your helmet, e.g. a hobby, pride in a home state or in a country, achievements from riding, a favorable quote, or even a memory of a loved one. Bear in mind that the base color and your overall design must be in harmony.
Dismantle the helmet
Before painting, you should consider dismantling the things that are removable and will not be painted, such as screws, lens, accessories, padding, and others. Carefully remove these parts as you will not want to get any paint on them. For parts that may not be dismantled, it is better to cover them by a sticking-plaster.
Method 1: Airbrush painting
For this process, you should get all tools and materials ready, such as airbrush gun or paint spray, a raincoat that helps to prevent paint from splashing over your clothes, a sticking-plaster, old big newspaper, markers and paintbrushes, as well as flexible stencils (optional). Follow some steps below:
- Step 1: Visualize the helmet and determine which part of it you want to paint and which part you don’t want to paint.
- Step 2: The best way to make the paint stick to the surface of the helmet is to polish the outer shell or some parts you want to paint by making use of a sand paper.
- Step 3: Cover anywhere you don’t want to paint by using the sticking-plaster. After that, spread out the big newspaper on the ground as well as place your motorcycle helmet on it.
- Step 4: Cleverly spray the helmet by using airbrush gun or paint spray. After that, wait about 20 minutes until the paint is dry. Then, utilize markers to draw the frame.
- Step 5: Avail the paintbrushes and water paint to paint your helmet, based on the frame you have just sketched. Of course, this is considered the most difficult step as it requires your caution and drawing skill. Any mistake can make your effort useless. Make sure to wait for at least 2 or 3 hours until the paint cover is dry.
- Step 6: After that, spray transparent paint so as to make the surface of your helmet shiny and smooth. In this step, you must wait for 20 minutes.
Method 2: Paintbrush painting
What you have to prepare for this method include acrylic paint, a paintbrush, a pencil and a marker. This way is said to be more difficult than the first one. But, it is a good way to show off your creativity in the highest notch.
- Step 1: You have to paint your motorcycle helmet’s surface. However, bear in mind that there is no need to paint its overall surface, just like the method 1. Rather, make use of the paintbrush to paint only areas you want to draw. Obviously, use any color you like best.
- Step 2: Avail the pencil to draw the frame of favorite on the areas you have just painted. Be patient to wait until it is completely dry. The great benefit of this traditional painting is that you are able to present the designs in an intricate and in-depth way. But, if you are not confident in this field, let a good artist do it for you!
- Step 3: Color the frame with many layers so as to cover the paint in the step 1. Of course, it is better to color the new layer once the old layer is totally dry.
- Step 4: Make use of the marker to redraw the frame so that it become clearer.