Top Motorcycle Helmet Camera Choices for You This Riding Season
Motorcycle helmet cams have evolved greatly over the years, and they aren’t the same old boring ones like before.
With the many unique features and benefits, choosing the right one can be daunting. Don’t worry, though. After hours of research on social media, customer feedback, and expert reviews, we have a comparison list of motorcycle helmet cams to help you choose the one for you.
Our researches have also shown that you should invest in the GoPro HERO Session or GoPro HERO5, both offering a myriad of features and benefits. Generally, they both produce outstanding quality pictures and videos with high resolution. With only a single charge, you can have up to 90 minutes of video recording.
GoPro HERO Session Action Camera
The GoPro HERO Session Action Camera is a fan favorite for many obvious reasons, mainly its versatility and ease of use.
Conveniently, it comes with all the hardware needed to mount it on top of your helmet with ease.
The camera is so easy to use that you can even take it everywhere you go without complaining.
With just a push of a button, it immediately begins recording high-quality footage. It also has an automatic shut down function once you stop recording to help you preserve power/battery life.
Record 1080p videos and capture 8MP photographs. Besides its ease of use, it is also designed to be resistant to harsh conditions including being waterproof.
- Begin recording with a push of a button and you don’t even have to worry about turning it off.
- Record videos of up to 1080p and capture pictures of up to 8 MP resolutions.
- Durable and waterproof, take this camera anywhere with you without worrying.
- The built-in microphone captures a lot of unwanted wind noise, you will need to learn how to minimize this.
- Some users complain of short battery life.
GoPro HERO5 Helmet Cam
The GoPro HERO5 is among one of the most popular motorcycle helmet cams in the market at the moment and with good reason.
It encapsulates everything you need from superb video quality, versatility, and durability.
Shoot amazing footages with different modes including time-lapse with 4K resolution videos and 12MP resolution pictures.
The GoPro HERO5 is highly resistant even submerged underwater at 33 feet, which means it is waterproof and can withstand even the harshest conditions. The camera has rechargeable battery that allows you to shoot up to 90 minutes of footage with a single charge.
- Equipped with a sensor, you can capture footage with a wide range of applications.
- Produce high-quality footage with different modes such as Time Lapse with 4K qualities. With the time-lapse option, you can save time on editing.
- It is highly durable and can survive even the harshest terrain or weather condition.
- You will need to purchase storage options as it does not come with an SD card.
Campark ACT74 Action Camera
The Campark ACT74 is one of the most popular fast action helmet cams on the market.
This camera produces overall great quality outputs at 30 frames per second with stunning 4K resolution.
With equally great picture quality, you can take photos at 16MP resolution.
The camera comes with a 2-inch screen with amazing wide-angle lens where you can monitor your recordings and review pictures in high definition. With a wide-angle lens view, you can ensure everything is captured. To store all your data, the camera also comes with a 32GB SD card where you can easily transfer to your other devices.
The camera is also waterproof even underwater at a maximum of 98ft making it perfect for use in harsh weather conditions and terrain. It is suitable to be mounted on any type of helmet material, including carbon fiber helmets.
- Capture great quality moments on the go with its 16MP resolution.
- At a rate of 30 frames per second, you can take amazing 4K videos and you can document every split second you desire.
- Known for being one of the best Action Cameras on the market due to its superb quality pictures.
- Comes with a 32GB SD card so that you have ample storage space for all your data.
- Most customer reviews mention the same thing, that audio functionality could be improved.
iON Camera Contour ROAM3
If you’re someone who’s serious about recording videos, the iON Camera Contour ROAM3 is definitely the one for you.
It is an all-rounded camera designed with useful features that you never knew you needed.
Capture videos in 1080p as well as two other different resolutions.
You can also toggle between interval photo and single-shot mode. If you need accuracy while shooting, you can align your shots with the built-in laser feature.
You can capture large spans of landscape with the 170-degree angle lens that offers you a wide field of view. The best thing is versatility as the camera can be rotated up to 270 degrees.
On top of that, it also comes with a microphone so you can record voiceovers over your footage. The camera is at the forefront of wearable technology as it provides simplicity coupled with premium performance. The camera begins recording as soon as you slide to switch it on.
- Simple and reliable, you can capture footage that goes up to 1080p.
- The built in microphone also allows you to voiceover your footages should you wish to document anything.
- 170-degree angle lens capture wide footages and prevents you from missing out on any details
- With 270 degree rotation, feel free to angle the camera any way you want so that you wont miss a shot.
- The iON Camera Contour ROAM3 immediately begins recording once it is turned on. That way, you won’t have to miss anything and you can capture moments on the go.
- You wont be able to use the camera while its charging as it does not come with a replaceable battery.
- One customer reviewed that you can seamlessly get faulty units replaced should anything happen to your camera.
Crosstour Action Camera Underwater
Capture high-quality footages with panoramic views with the Crosstour Action Camera Underwater.
This excellently designed camera will fit right in with your high-quality gear, capturing moments with great clarity.
Panoramic landscapes can be captured due to the 170-degree wide-angle lens so you will not miss anything.
Film videos at 1080p resolution and pictures at up to 12MP resolution. Waterproof, the Crosstour Action Camera Underwater can resist being submerged at a maximum of 98 feet.
And the best thing is that it comes with a wireless remote control feature that you can hook up to your Smartphone to control your camera. You can also download or delete footages easily on the camera itself.
- With a wireless control feature that you can hook up to your smartphone, you can control your footage on the go.
- With a 170-degree wide-angle lens, never miss a thing as it allows you to capture panoramic landscapes.
- Capture all kinds of moments with 1080p quality for videos and 12MP resolution for photos.
- Being waterproof, you can be sure to use the camera under all types of weather conditions. It can also resist being submerged up to 98 feet underwater.
- The camera seems to have battery problems with some users complaining that they are unable to charge it for the first time. Should this occur, be sure to contact the seller. Unsurprisingly, the battery life doesn’t last if it is connected to a phone via Wi-Fi, as with most devices.
X-Lounger Action Camera
Many motorcycle helmet cameras come with pretty similar features. The X-Lounger Action Camera, however, branches out of the norm just a little even in the smallest details while it does not compromise on the overall quality and performance.
For example, the camera uses an aluminum front cover instead of plastic covers that are usually used by most cameras for protection, which makes it more rigid. The camera is equipped with a 2.4 inch LCD screen where you can preview your footages to select which to delete or save. At 30 frames per second, you can record footage of up to 4K resolutions. You can also set to other resolutions if that is what you wish to record, giving you flexibility.
There is a playback feature and also time-lapse mode where you can get creative with your footages. Unlike some other cameras that only come with one chargeable battery, the X-Lounger Action Camera comes with two rechargeable batteries of high capacity that can record up to 90 minutes each.
Once you purchase this all-rounded camera, it comes with many accessories such as a remote control, and a waterproof case.
- With an aluminum protection cover, your X-Lounger Action Camera will be very durable against damages and you won’t have to worry about it spoiling for a while.
- Equipped with a 2.4-inch LCD screen, you can playback your footages and review them on the spot. This way, you can decide any footage to delete to make space for more.
- Maximize time with two rechargeable batteries that can be used to record up to 90 minutes each. You won’t have to worry about missing out ever again.
- With a waterproof case, you can store the camera safely and securely in an event of harsh weather conditions.
- The remote control that comes with it is extremely useful.
- The microphone can be improved as it captures a lot of wind in the recording. It requires double work to find a solution to produce clearer sound.
- It takes some time to get used to this camera, as you might need to figure out how to use its special features.
With the Ion 1011L, you can toggle between capturing brilliant footage in either 720p or 1080p resolutions.
With ultra-wide-angle lens, be sure not to miss anything and capture the entirety of your desired landscape.
You can capture images in burst-shot mode in 14MP resolution and also use the time-lapse option if you wish.
The built-in mike allows you to voiceover your footage and you can produce documentary-like videos on the go. The camera is considered very durable even without a case. It can resist being submerged underwater of up to 30 feet as it is waterproof.
To save all your footage and data, you can opt for either a micro SD or micro SDHC card but it doesn’t come with the purchase and you will need to purchase it separately. Wi-Fi functionality isn’t so common with helmet cameras hence why the Ion 1011L is another plus.
This enables you to connect to Apple or Android mobile apps where you can seamlessly review your files or even upload them onto social media should you wish to. You can do all of this via the app without even touching the camera.
- One of the main pros of the Ion 1011L is its Wi-Fi compatibility, where you can connect to a range of mobile applications and even review and organize your footage with ease. This also enables you to control the camera without touching it, just with the app itself.
- The Ion 1011L is extremely durable due to its rugged design, so you can use it even under harsh weather conditions. It can also be used underwater of up to 30 feet.
- You can shoot footage in various modes such as burst-shot or time-lapse with extremely high quality.
- It doesn’t come with an SD card although it has this feature. This is annoying, as you have to purchase it separately, which incurs an additional cost.
- Some users are unhappy with the short battery life so if you are looking for something more long lasting, this isn’t the camera for you.
The Aokon ARC500 will never leave your sight as it can be comfortably and securely mounted on your helmet allowing you to shoot HD footages on the go. You will have the option to produce 4K Ultra HD footage from three different resolutions and even frames per second, giving you extreme flexibility to play around.
With Wi-Fi and HDMI connectivity, you can connect to your Smartphone with ease. This means that you won’t have to take off the camera if it is mounted on your helmet to control it, you can just control it via the app.
The HDMI option allows you to review and organize your footage on other devices such as your phone or computer. You can also save them onto your other devices to make more storage space for new data. The fish-eye lens option is an added benefit where you can play around and capture more of your surroundings. You can also have the flexibility to angle the camera at 120, 140 and 170 degrees.
- Capture 4K Ultra HD footage with three resolutions, and frames per second.
- Fish-eye lens enables you to capture more of your surroundings and produce unique footages.
- If you like flexibility, the Aokon camera is for you due to its versatility in letting you adjust it to your liking in terms of settings and adjustments. For example, you can adjust the angle to three different degrees 120, 140 and 170.
- The camera takes some time to get used to but it is great once you familiarize yourself with it.
- You might not be able to use it under harsh weather conditions as it is not waterproof.
- Some users complain about missing attachments when they purchase the camera. You can contact customer care for replacements but it will be an added task.
No matter what motorcycle helmet camera you are looking for, we are sure you would find something exciting from our list. Which one are you looking to buy next?