Nothing is more versatile than a dual sport helmet because you can use it both on the road and off the road. It combines the best features of a dirt bike motorcycle helmet and a street motorcycle helmet. It takes the shape and style of an off-road helmet and face shield of a street motorcycle helmet.
For this purpose, dual sport helmets are usually expensive. Lucky for you we have found the best dual sport helmets that won’t break the bank.
Here are our top recommendations for the best dual sport helmet for the money.
Top 7 Best Dual Sport Helmet For The Money Review
The 1Storm HGXP-14A is a good all-around helmet that you can use in your dirtbike, Harley, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), and many more.
With its sleek design, you can turn a lot of heads in your way.
It’s neither bulky nor heavy so it fits in your head just nicely even in long hours of a motorcycle ride.
Highlighted Features :
- The HGXP-14A is DOT certified to be safe for use both on the road and off-road.
- It’s designed with a tinted shield to block the sunlight and other elements from your face. It seals very well during the cold days. The shield is removable and can be raised to turn into an MX helmet.
- The helmet shell is made of lightweight, yet sturdy thermoplastic alloy. It’s aerodynamic to minimize wind noise when you’re riding at highway speed.
- The interior is heavily cushioned to absorb impact and make you comfortable throughout the ride. It’s removable and washable to keep your helmet odor-free and clean.
- The vents on the top can be open to keep you cool and promote better airflow.
- This model is treated with a glossy UV protective finish to shield your helmet from the harmful rays of the sun.
- It’s available in 11 colors and six different sizes.
- DOT certified to be safe on any road
- Durable and scratch-resistant face shield
- Treated with a UV protective finish
- Comfortable and cool to wear
- Seals the cold air very nicely
- The face shield fogs up (check solutions)
At 3.3 lbs, the extra-small Bell MX-9 is perhaps one of the most lightweight dual sports helmets on the market today.
It’s a middleweight ADV helmet that combines the best features suitable for both dirt and street motorcycling purposes.
If you’re a rider who wants to push the boundaries and never stop when the road ends, then this Bell MX-9 might fit you.
- The MX-9 comes with a clear shield but you can replace it with a tinted shield as an option. The integrated shield is scratch resistant, UV protected and anti-fog coated.
- The helmet shell is made of polycarbonate composite which is strong yet lightweight.
- The interior is developed with advanced Multi-directional Impact Protection System (MIPS) technology to minimize rotational forces generated from particular impacts. The foam liner disperses the force of impact while the elastomeric attachment extends to let the foam liner revolve around the low-friction liner.
- The velocity-flow ventilation system flushes the hot air out and forces the cool air in.
- The removable liner and cheek pads are easy to wash to keep the bacteria and bad odor at bay.
- It has passed the safety standards of DOT FMVSS 218 which means it offers a high penetration resistance and built with a good chin strap quality.
- It’s available in 15 colors and seven different sizes.
- Antibacterial liner
- The shield doesn’t fog up
- Dissipates the force of impact very well
- Lightweight and durable
- DOT (FMVSS 218) approved
- The MIPS system is good but it slides around just a little
Finding a dual sport helmet that accommodates glasses is quite hard.
But thanks to temple foam sectioning of the O’Neal Sierra II, you can easily slide your eyeglass stems into the helmet without any problem.
The fit and finish are also very nice making it a great value for your money.
Highlighted Features :
- The Sierra II combines a tinted internal visor and an integrated clear face shield to protect your face from harmful elements, like sunlight and dust.
- This helmet is made of lightweight ABS shell and removable comfort liner. The liner wicks away moisture to keep you stay dry. It’s air channeled to keep you stay cool during the hot summer days.
- Vent holes let the cool air in and flushes out the hot air for a comfortable ride. The one in front of your jaw is adjustable while those on top aren’t adjustable.
- The padded chin strap comes with a double-D safety lock to keep the helmet securely in place.
- It’s available in three colors and in six different sizes to find your best fit.
- It has met the safety standards of both DOT and ECE 22.05 to be safe for use on the street and off-road.
- Can fit in your glasses very well
- Moisture-wicking comfort liner
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Offers a solid protection
- Good dual visor system
- A bit loud on the highway so we consider wearing earplugs
The NENKI NK-310 might have the best visor design with its high-quality iridium red visor plus extra anti-fog clear visor.
You’ll have a clear vision all day even when it gets dark or sunny. It’s a great value for money as it priced below $100 and you’ll get the same protection from an expensive helmet.
Key Features :
- The iridium red visor is UV protected to protect your eyes and entire face from the harmful rays of the sun. The clear visor doesn’t fog up and it’s very useful during the night and in dark environments. These two visors can be easily switched depending on the riding condition.
- This helmet is made of ABS thermoplastic composite and EPS impact foam. There’s a cushion lining to absorb impact. The lining is removable and washable to keep it clean.
- Multiple vents are designed on the NK-310 to keep you cool during the ride.
- The NK-310 has passed and surpassed the safety standards of DOT.
- Feels lightweight and comfortable
- Reflective visor protects the eyes during the day
- Great visibility even at night
- Comes with a nice anti-fog clear visor and a storage bag
- Construction is solid and looks cool
- The chin strap is a bit long
For kids or even adults with significantly small heads, the HHH DOT Youth helmet might be a good option if you want to look for an affordable dual sport helmet.
This helmet is available in 6 magnificent colors and beautiful designs to make you look more spectacular with your bike.
It looks really attractive when you’re riding through puddles.
Highlighted Features :
- This dual sport helmet is available in four sizes: small (19.2-19.7 inches), medium (20.1-20.5 inches), large (20.9-21.2 inches), and extra-large (21.2-22.2 inches).
- The multicolor visor protects your eyes from the sun and other harsh elements. It covers the full face so you get full protection from different weather conditions. It can be easily removed or replaced with another visor.
- The interior is heavily cushioned to make you feel comfortable throughout the ride. It’s removable for easy washing.
- This package includes a helmet bag to keep your helmet for safety.
- It’s DOT approved to be safe for use on the road and off the road.
- It’s superlightweight. This helmet only weighs below 3lbs.
- Available in bright colors
- Comfortable to wear during long rides
- Visor easily flips up and offers full protection
- Very lightweight
- DOT approved to be safe
- Much smaller than expected
Another good for the money dual sport helmet is the XP14 from Typhoon Helmets.
Under $100 and you’ll get almost the same features of an expensive helmet, like DOT certification, improved ventilation, and wide optical view.
Best of all, it fashions great aesthetics with its colorful designs and patterns.
Highlighted Features :
- The XP14 meets the safety standards of DOT (FMVSS218) meaning that you reduce the risk of head injuries when you wear this helmet during impact. Typhoon Helmets have an independent test facility to ensure that this helmet abides by the DOT standards.
- It comes with an anti-scratch distortion-free face shield. It’s removable so you can replace it with a visor that you want.
- Advanced front flow ventilation and interior channeling offer improved ventilation and comfort. The comfort liner is removable and washable to keep the bacteria and bad odor at bay.
- The shell is made of lightweight ABS shell. It’s sculpted aerodynamically to reduce wind noise.
- It’s available in five different sizes: small (21.5-22 inches), medium (22-22.5 inches), large (22.5-23 inches), extra-large (23-23.5 inches), and double extra-large (23.5-24 inches).
- This helmet is compatible to use with off-road goggles.
- Comes with a good winter neck scarf
- Aerodynamic designed shell
- Available in colorful and attractive designs
- Removable and anti-scratch face shield
- Plenty of airflow even with the shield down
- The clear shield alone can’t block the glaring sunlight
If you perspire a lot, then you might need a dual sport helmet that will help keep you cool all day.
The Voss Helmets 600 features moisture-wicking interior to keep you dry even on hot summer days.
It’s packed with other great features, making it a great value for your money.
Highlighted Features :
- The Voss Helmets 600 Matte Black Reaction sports a two- tone matte finish graphic to make you look cool while riding your motorbike or ATV. The other four colors are matte black, gloss white shark fin, matte black thunderbolt, and matte red thunderbolt.
- The shell is made of ABS/polycarbonate alloy for that great balance of lightweight and strength. The helmet weighs around 3.5 lbs.
- The moisture-wicking comfort liner is removable for easy washing.
- This helmet comes with a medium-dark smoke sun visor to protect your eyes from sunlight and an outer face shield to protect your entire face from dust and other elements.
- This helmet is certified to be safe by the standards of DOT (FMVSS 218).
- Comfortable moisture-wicking interior liner
- Feels solid and lightweight
- DOT certified to be safe for both on- and off-the-road rides
- Fits snugly around the head
- The sun visor works great at daylight
- Creates annoying wind noise at highway speed
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the average cost of a dual sport helmet?
The price of a dual sport helmet may vary depending on your preferred style and extra features. Standard DOT-approved helmets cost around $125 or even more. The more certifications and extra features, the more expensive.
An expensive dual sport helmet can cost around $500. But on this list, we have discovered some good dual sport helmets for the money.
Our top pick, the 1Storm HGXP-14A Dual Sport Helmet, costs much less than that.
2. Why are some dual sport helmets so expensive?
Some dual sport helmets are expensive because they use high-strength and super lightweight materials, like Kevlar and carbon fiber.
They invest so much in research and development to create the best helmet that offers both comfort and protection.
They also provide extra features (example Bluetooth) for better riding experience and more helmet shell sizes to find your best fitting.
3. Do expensive dual sport helmets worth the cost?
Yes, they do. Expensive dual sport helmets are aerodynamically designed to reduce wind noise when riding at highway speed. They stay securely in place even when you ride at higher speeds.
They use a more comfortable liner and washable interior pads so the interior doesn’t smell bad. They’re also more lightweight so you don’t strain your neck during long rides.
4. Which is better: A cheap dual sport helmet or an expensive dual sport helmet?
A cheap dual sport helmet is a better option if you plan to use it occasionally for a short period of time. At the very least, make sure that the cheap helmet has met the DOT safety standards so you’ll get the basic protection on the road or off the road.
However, if you plan to use it regularly on the road and off the road, then it’s wise to invest in an expensive helmet.
Although we don’t recommend you to spend your entire savings, it would be a better option to spend a bit more money on a helmet for your safety and comfort.
The best dual sport helmet for the money is the 1Storm HGXP-14A because it has the best features at a low price. You can choose from 11 different colors and 6 different sizes to fit your preference.
Compared to other dual sport helmets in this list, the HGXP-14A offers a great balance of protection and comfort. The interior and the thermoplastic alloy absorbs impact while the tinted face shield protects your face from the elements.
The center of gravity is just right to keep you comfortable throughout the ride without straining your neck.
Although the shield may fog up, you can treat it with an anti-fogging solution or better yet get a more expensive dual sport helmet which offers an anti-fogging shield.